Home Staging Preparing Home to Sale. Staging is a new term in the real estate industry. Orginally, the term was used for movies and plays. Staging directors stage to set the atmosphere and mood of artistic production. The movie industry understands the artistic and financial rewards of having a movie production staged properly. Stage directors win Academy Awards and Tony Awards. Sellers are you considering selling your home? Before you put property on market stage your home. Your home is the property and you are the Staging director enhance appearance and increase profitability. Remember, your home is not the only home on the market. You are competing with different price ranges, locations, architectural styles, interior styles and property conditions. There is competition your property needs to stand-out. Preparing your home for sale you can hire a professional staging company or stage your home yourself. Do-It-Yourself Stagers remember. 3C’s of staging are: Clean, Clutter (no clutter) and Color. Staging yourself takes a little elbow grease but will pay-off in the resale of your home. Stage based on personal taste and style. Check your rooms can they be brighten up with a new coat of paint? Check bedding in bedrooms and towels in bathrooms. Consider replacing linen and towels with neutral or pastel colors. Does carpet need to be replaced in certain rooms or just a good cleaning? Carpets O.K. clean and vacuum carpet. Fresh flowers are always a bonus put fresh flowers in different rooms. When property is shown turn on lights. Nothing is worse than buyer viewing a dark room.
Stage home for maximum appeal when buyer looking for a home. How do buyers find a home? The first thing a buyer will see in a ad or driving by is the homes exterior. Lawns and landscaping should be well kept. Remove clutter and trash from the exterior. The exterior may need a little touch ups. Window and screens should be clean. Keep the garage door closed. Approach repairs or replacements as an investment in your home. Sprucing up your property may result in a better selling price and a shorter listing period.
How Do Buyers Find Properties? It is visual stage your exterior appearance.
About 80% of buyers start their property search online. All listing now have exterior and interior photos of listed properties. Online buyers decide online which properties they have an interest in viewing. Their decision is strongly influences by the property photos. It has been my experience the good photos can be misleading or underestimate the true attraction of the exterior or interior of a home.
For Sale Signs:
- Buyers call for appointment because they drove by and saw a For Sale Sign. For Sale Sign caught buyers attention but exterior property condition will determine from there is an interest in view property.
- Newspaper, magazines, fliers and online advertisement generally will give address, features, price and exterior photo of property.
Interior Inexpensive Staging
- – Buyers react well to signs your home has been well maintained.
- – Check each room clean walls or paint. Paint use neutral color that flows with color themes of each room in home.
- – Every room in the house should be thoroughly cleaned and remove all clutter.
- – Touch ups may include cleaning or replacing carpet window treatments, and paint.
- – Hardwood floors should be in clean and in good condition. Repair loose boards.
- – Many buyers purchase for more space. Give your rooms a sleeker look.
- – You may want to rearrange or remove some furniture.
- – Un-clutter shelves, tables and etc..
- – Additionally, clean cabinets, appliances, and kitchen fixtures.
- – Replace or repair loose cabinet hardware.
- – Fix leaks in ceilings, walls, plumbing, and etc.. Address the cause of the leak.
- – Clean kitchen counters or replace worn kitchen counter tops with new, clean, neutral colored materials.
- – Replace worn outdated vinyl flooring.
- – Clean ceramic tiles and re-grout if necessary.
- – Make sure all appliances are clean and in working order. Do not forget the oven interior.
- – Replace all burned-out light bulbs
- – Replace cracked windowpanes.
- – Clean all light fixtures and ceiling fans
Exterior Staging Ideas
- – Keep driveways clean and free of parked cars
- – Keep the garage door closed.
- – Trim tree branches from roof
- – Repair/replace damaged or missing shingles.
- – Clean roof gutter
- – Remove clutter (trash and toys).
- – Waste cans should be kept out of sight except on trash pick-up days.
- – Windows and screens should be clean and not damaged.
- – Inspect the appearance of interior window treatments from the curb.
- – Repair any peeling paint or loose caulking on windows, doors or other areas.
- – Eliminate any cobwebs and groom doorway area windows and porch light.
- – There should be no clutter at any entry area.
- – Pick-up after pets.
- – Keep cat litter box clean and fresh
Staging Ideas Items That Can Add to Attractiveness of Home
- – One main reason for a buyer’s purchase is for more space. Sellers should remove all clutter. Rearrange room furnitures give room spaciousness.
- – Replace bedding and towels with fresh bedding and towels. Purchase neutral or pastel colors. White visually adds space. May want to concern bedspread in off-white or light neutral color.
- – Pillows can add flare to living room or bedroom furniture
- – Furniture shawls can add flare to home furnishings
- – Tasteful decorative vases put in living room, family room, bedroom or bathroom.
- – Fresh flowers in living room, bedrooms diningroom and or bathrooms.
- – Tasteful place mats with attractive plates in dining room or breakfast room.
- – In bathrooms put decorative soap dishes with colorful soap. Enhance with complementary toothbrush holder and trash can.
- Put decorative dishes with potpourri in different rooms.
- Replace medicine cabinets, fixtures, paper towel holders and or towel rails if needed.
- Kitchen counters should be clutter free with only a few small appliances (toaster, coffee maker and etc.)
- Tastful dishes with potpourri in bedrooms and bathrooms
- Landscaping add fresh flowers and shrub
- Exterior entry path add flower pots and hanging plants.
- Well maintained lawn green and flowers always add to appearance.
- Wind Chimes at entry and or backyard
- Place new Welcome Mat at entry.
Showing Your Home
- Turn on lights and open curtains show bright and light rooms.
- Tidy up all rooms
- Make beds and organize closets
- Closets should be neat and uncluttered
- Take the entire family out during a showing. This give buyers freedom to view and make decision if your home is for them.
- Keep pets out during shows.
- Turn televisions and radios off during showings.
- Keep all valuables, bills, keys and personal papers organized and out-of-sight.
- Keep your medicine out of sight.
- Keep children toys organized and in one area
- If possible homeowners should leave home during showings.
Sellers can stage their home tasteful and inexpensively. Plan your staging and compare items needed at different online and retail stores. Keep in mind that you want your home to be appealing not just for one individual but for the general buying market. Do-it-yourself staging major task is interior and exterior cleaning. One of buyer’s motivations is for more space. To make rooms more spacious consider rearranging furniture or remove unnecessary furniture. Add fresh new bedding and towels. Adding new bedding and towels give rooms fresh bright look. Based on your own taste add pillows, furniture shawls, vases, place mats and etc. Remember the 3Cs Clean, Clutter (No Clutter) and Color. Keep color theme consistent throughout home. Call me so we can discuss your staging plans! Gail Mercedes Cole 310.853.9933
Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Photos provided Zillow Digs and Google Images. License #00788828